Monday, April 13, 2009

I miss Domino Magazine… But I might get the last laugh!


Domino Magazine lovers before you get mad, let me explain myself!

The demise of our beloved Domino Magazine last month (March 2009) was clearly no laughing matter. I started reading and loving and subscribing to them in 2007, and I will definitely miss them. But my biggest regret of all is that I never found the time to read all those issues that for nearly two years have taken up space on the bookshelf in my bedroom. Shameful. I know. But I can explain.

As a Stay At Home Mom (SAHM) with two young children 12 months apart, opportunities for leisure reading are now few and far between. So over the past two years, my reading has just fallen further and further behind.

"What about during the kids’ naptime?" I can almost hear you asking. The answer? "Already wholly and completely booked!" "After they’ve gone to bed at night"? "Ditto." And there’s no way that I can eke another minute out of the 4-5 hours sleep that I get each night for leisure reading! Sigh.

And then there’s my husband. Bless him. My rock, my pillar… My constant friend and CRITIC. “Why do you keep subscribing to all these magazines?” He asks each time another one is extricated from the mailbox. “You never have time to read any of them!” “You’re wasting money and cluttering up our house!”

Although he has some very valid points, I can’t ever bring myself to admit (to him) that he’s right. So each time the drill is the same and I rebut albeit somewhat sheepishly from my usual arsenal of “I know I’m a bit behind with the reading right now, but I’ll catch up eventually.” “It didn’t cost that much.” “This one was almost free!” “I got a HUGE rebate on this subscription” (watch for more about this good fortune later).

So when I stumbled upon the news that publication of Domino would cease, I felt very very sad. But then it dawned on me, that there could be an opportunity to redeem myself and maybe even have the last laugh if I could get my husband to apologize. Because SURELY someone out there would be looking for Domino back issues. And if I had so many of them new and unread, never even opened, some still sealed in their original plastic bag as received directly from the publishers, SURELY they must be worth something to someone who wants them. And maybe has time to read them. Or maybe it’s someone who understands that since Domino Magazine was only published for a few years (2005 to 2009), each issue can now be considered a collector’s item and it’s value will likely increase as time goes by.

So with a heavy but hopeful heart, I listed my February 2008 issue on ebay last week, just to see what would happen. Long story short, I got my $9.99 but I also got something far more valuable. The chance to 1-UP my husband. To be able to say “I sold ONE magazine and nearly covered the entire year’s subscription” cannot be taken lightly in my house folks! It’s such a simple thing, but my head was in the clouds for days. (Now were it not for those exorbitant ebay fees that sellers have to pay…)

So what other magazines DO I have on those shelves besides Domino? And more importantly, WHAT shall I do with them? Well there are oodles of First for Women (my all time FAVORITE magazine by the way). American Baby, Parenting, Parents, Real Simple and Lucky. Then there are fewer Scrapbooking ETC., Redbook, ShopSmart and Cookie.

Sigh. So what to do with all these (mostly unread) magazines, in lieu of reading them?!

I’m not really sure, but I figured that a good place to start is by selling my Dominos. So I have listed them in my online store. I really hate to part with them, but since I don’t see a “mommy vacation day” anywhere on the distant horizon, and they are much in demand these days, I figure that I might as well recover some of my subscription fees. At the same time, I will earn myself the buying rights to even MORE magazines! Yeah!!
Yes, this vicious cycle seems set to continue for a while. But emitting squeals of delight while delivering “take that!” to hubby can only be good for my marriage!

Writing this has made me curious? Am I shamefully alone? Or do YOU have tons of unread magazines too? Dominos maybe?

Check back soon, next I’m going to tell you how I save BIG on my magazine subscriptions!

Kacy

No comments:

Post a Comment